Wednesday, October 04, 2006

In Townsend and Cades Cove there were piles of little groups playing Blue Grass & Mountain music. Now I didn't try to take a picture of this mans backside.....There just wasn't any way to get a good picture. He was playing some kind of homemade base string. What you cant see is the one long string that is attached to the top of that wash tub & then he is holding the other end in his right hand and playing with the left. Now this fella was wearing some thick gloves & I can see why with the way he was having to slap the thing to make the deep base sound. Pretty neat huh? There were many instruments that I had never seen before....many being homemade. I reckon in Pioneer days you had to make music with what ever you had. If it sounded anything like what these folks were playing...well I would be tappin my toes! The bottom picture is one of my favorite places to take a picture regardless of the season....the Carter Shields cabin located in Cades Cove is such a pretty place! This cabin is a fine example of hardwork and good craftmanship! I could live there!!

4 comments:

Marci said...

Man, I wish we could have been there. We love that old timey music. Glad you had such a good time.

Sandra said...

Oh Tina, I love log cabins so thanks for showing this one. :o) I would have loved to hear those homemade instruments.

Maybe I'll get to see and hear all of this when we visit next year.

Reviekat said...

How fun to see and hear those bands play.

And the cabin - oh, I would live there with you. The girls would haul our water! LOL. :)

mouse said...

That is a beautiful picture of the cabin in the woods. Do they let you go inside the cabin?