Monday, October 22, 2012

Happy Homemaker Monday




The Weather:::
It was 54 degrees when I first got up at 5:30. It 63 degrees now, cool & crisp with a blue bird sky. A high of 79 is expected today.



Right now I am:
Writing this post while listening to the washer on its second load of clothes. I've already baked a batch of Reese's Oatmeal Mini Pieces Cookies. They are cooling.



Thinking:
I hope our pecans hurry & open up. The quicker we get them in the better price we receive (most of the time). I'm also thinking that my husband has some difficult things to figure out. We are thinning one of the orchards at the end of harvest. It is going to be a heartbreaking, difficult task to accomplish. Trees will be moved to some other property about 2 miles down the road.



On my reading pile:::
Continuing the study by Beth Moore, "Why Godly People Do Ungodly Things". This is a really great study.

"The Tale of Holly How". Its the second book in the mystery series by Susan Witting Albert. I am enjoying this fictional series about Beatrix Potter.



On my tv:::
Elementary
Call The Midwife
The Bomb Girls
Beauty and The Beast


On the menu for this week:::
Tonight
Leftover Shrimp Jambalaya that my husband made last night. Really good!!
Tuesday
BLT's
Wednesday
Italian Veggie Soup
Thursday
Baked Chicken with baked potatoes
Friday
Crock pot roast with carrots & rice



On my to do list:::
Finish Laundry
Deliver snacks to my granddaughters class (fresh baked cookies)
Clean my back porch
Re-pot some plants
I need to begin refreshing my ICU skills. You know the old saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it"!



What I am sewing, crocheting, knitting or creating:::
NOT ONE THING HERE.



Homemaking Tips:::
I clean my tubs and showers really good and about once a year I wax them with car wax. I was told to do this when we built our house by the people we bought our tubs from. It does help preserve the finish and prevent scum from sticking as bad.



Looking around the house:::
I have a basket full of my granddaughters toys to put away from her playing this weekend. She didn't have a chance to do it before she went back home. I also have a basket of clothes to put away. I really need to vac & mop my kitchen floor. We made a mess Friday when Danny & I were putting up 50 pounds of shrimp we bought.



From the camera:::
Playing by the pond.















On my prayer list:::
My kids and grands
My father-n-law
This wacked out government system that we have.



Bible verse, Devotional:::
"As people who desire to seduce-proof their lives, we see that the world is going to get increasingly wicked, yet we've been sent smack into the middle of it." per Beth Moore in regards to Christians.



Join Sandra for more Happy Homemaker Monday.


8 comments:

Conny said...

oh, I love Susan Witting Albert's books!! I usually get them at the library - this is a reminder to look at what's new there! :)

Hope all goes well w/ the pecans!

Whitney @ My Southern Comfort said...

my grandparents have a pecan orchard too. I remember going during the fall and winter to pick them up and shell/freeze them for Christmas goodies :)

Jen said...

Love pecans. Here in NY they are pretty expensive. So we only have them at Christmas.

Naomi said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I love that you grow pecans! We love them here but I'd never really thought about how they are grown as they aren't grown in the UK... the idea of a pecan orchard is just fabulous!

Call the midwife is a brilliant series, I hope you are enjoying it too.

Have a lovely week xx

simplicityinthemaking said...

Tina I feel terrible. I called you Tara on my blog yesterday. Something to do with T names. I called a Tonya, Tanya two days ago.We have aboard game called The Farmers Game and it is much like Monopoly and can go on for days, with crop failures and stock yard purchases etc. But it is the fruit & nut section where crop failure can be fatal.One frost and loose the season. I don't know much about pecans, only I love them in everything. To put your whole year into one crop would make me a nervous wreck. But then dairy can be like that too. One disease can cripple the whole herd. i enjoy you comments. Thank -you.

Sandra said...

I love pecans...actually glad I don't have a tree in my yard or I would be filling up on Pecan Pie LOL

Now why didn't I know about Bomb Girls??? Tsk Tsk Tsk...adding it to my list to watch lol

And the Beatrix Potter books, I still need to read those...thanks for the reminder.

Dorothy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy said...

How lovely to read about life on the other side of the world with the crispness of autumn in the air. My darling Beloved is in the US right now. He's loving the change of climate, although Australia is not so warm as yet. We have that to come in the next few months.
I loved the title of that Beth Moore study. I'll have to look it up for myself now. Thanks for sharing. xx