Thursday, April 27, 2006
My favorite time of the day is the morning and I love to spend my mornings in one of two places, the front porch or the back porch. There was a commotion this morning as I sat on the back porch. It has happened before. A Blue Heron decided he wanted to go fishing in the pond. As he flew over ever so gracefully, he was met with the alarm of my faithful barking watch dog and gobbling watch Turkey! Yes I said watch turkey! The barking and gobbling caused the poor bird to circle overhead several times before landing safely in the top of a tall pine. I have tried to get a picture of this stork looking fella but apparently he is camera shy. As you can see, my dog Gandalf has decided to keep watch for this unknown interloper. The Blue Heron is not my enemy by far but it reminds me of the one who is, Satan. The Apostle Paul reminded the church members of Ephesus to be ready and the way to be ready is to dress in the full Armor of God. Like our soldiers in Iraq and all around the world they are dressed in full military attire and are always in an ACT of watchfulness. They are prepared for the enemy. What has old Satan got in store for me today? Belt of Truth, Breastplate of righteousness, standing ready with the Peace of Jesus in me, the Shield of Faith, my Helmet of Salvation, the Word of God as my Sword, and a constant state of prayer.....Bring it on! Gandalf is ready for that bird's landing. Are you ready for Satan today? What a blessing to have dogs, turkeys and big blue herons to remind me to stay close to my LORD!
Wednesday, April 26, 2006
SHOW ME THE MONEY......I couldn't resist taking this little fella's picture after he trusted me enough to show me his money bag. He lives on my back porch among my Boston ferns. I think he is beautiful. My husband thinks I am weird. Maybe it is a childhood thing. I remember when I was a little girl, my Mama asked me if I wanted to see a lizard's money bag. I didn't think she was weird, I thought she was crazy!
In a letter Paul wrote to his son Timothy, he explained that the love of money was a root to many kinds of evils. Money is a gift from God. It is our obsession with money that Paul rebuked.
When I receive my paycheck, I can not help but thank God for it. HE allowed me to have a job and good health to work. I give HIM back the 10% he asked of me and that is easy enough. It is the other 90% that I am sometimes a poor steward of. I hope your money is a blessing and not a root to any evils.
Friday, April 14, 2006
It is planting time here in South Georgia. Tractors are the main vehicle on the road these days. Fields are full of workers putting in new tobacco plants, planting corn and cotton. It is a glorious site to see the fresh plowed earth. I want to kick my shoes off and go walk in the cool dark dirt. Spring is alive and kicking! Our pecan trees have budded. As you look down the rows of trees you can see a wisp of light green as the leaves begin their season of growth. Even in Spring there is still a harvest to collect. Local farmers are pulling up onions! Oh how I love a grilled hamburger with a slice of fresh-from-the-dirt sweet onion! Yum! To new beginings and endings...a blessing here in the South!